This website is owned by Episcopal High School (“EHS”), located at 1200 North Quaker Lane, Alexandria, Virginia, USA. You can contact us about this policy at
. The following discloses our privacy practices for the EHS website, located at URL
(our “Site” or “this website”).
If you are interacting with this website or with EHS from the European Union, the personal information we collect concerning you will be processed in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation or any other applicable regulations or legislation (together, the “GDPR”).
For the purposes of the GDPR, EHS is the legal entity overseeing the processing of your personal information, and therefore the data controller.
Personal Information We Collect
If you are interacting with this website or with EHS from the European Union, then please note that in addition to the information referred to in the preceding paragraph, we will collect and process additional information about you which also amounts to “personal data” under the GDPR. This additional personal data may take different forms – it may be factual information, expressions of opinion, images or other recorded information which identifies or relates to a living individual. Examples include:
- family details;
- admissions, academic, disciplinary and other education related records, information about special educational needs, references, examination scripts and marks;
- education and employment data;
- images, audio and video recordings; or
- financial information.
As a school, we need to process special category Personal Data (eg concerning health, ethnicity, religion or biometric data) and criminal records information about some individuals (particularly pupils and staff). We do so in accordance with applicable law (including with respect to safeguarding or employment) or by explicit consent.
Purpose and Legal Basis for Processing
We use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Ensuring that content from our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer on the basis of our legitimate interests to keep our website relevant and functioning;
- Providing prospective students and their families with information about EHS on the basis of your consent or our legitimate interests to use your and your child’s Personal Information for marketing purposes;
- Processing applications for admissions to take steps required to enter into a contract with you, on the basis of our legitimate interests to review applications, or on the basis of your consent;
- Providing the school’s academic, housing, and extracurricular services to enrolled students and their parents/guardians to fulfill our contractual obligations towards you or on the basis of our legitimate interests to provide the best educational experience we can;
- Providing website visitors with goods or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have provided your consent to be contacted for such purposes;
- Carrying out our contractual obligations arising from enrollment contracts or other contracts entered into between you and us;
- Allowing you to participate in interactive features of our website, when you choose to do so, on the basis of our legitimate interests to present our website in the best possible way for you, or, if not applicable, on the basis of your consent;
- Notifying you about changes to our program and the services we offer to students, their families and alumni, on the basis of your consent or our legitimate interests to use your and your child’s Personal Information for marketing purposes ; and
- With respect to Website Visitors’ Information, to help us improve the nature and placement of website content by observing which pages of our Site are used the most, and to identify problems with our server. This information is aggregated and used to identify site traffic patterns and improve user experiences. We use “Cookies” to improve your viewing experience with our website and to gather the Website Visitors Information described above. We do so on the basis of our legitimate interests to keep our website updated and to develop marketing strategy.
Where the processing of your Personal Information is based on your consent only (and not on a contractual relationship with EHS), you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. We will then delete your Personal Information and will not use it further.
Sharing of Personal Information (Recipients and Transfers)
We do not sell, rent, or otherwise provide your Personal Information to third parties for any type of marketing purposes not directly supervised or authorized by Episcopal High School.
EHS may disclose your Personal Information to: :
- those employees who need to know the Personal Information in order to fulfill any of the purposes outlined above;
- contractors, service providers and affiliated organizations that (a) need to know that Personal Information in order to process it on our behalf or to provide services available on the Sites, and (b) that have agreed to keep it securely, process it only on our instructions, and not to disclose it to others;
- public authorities if we reasonably believe we are required to do so by law or legal process, in response to a request from government authorities, or if we believe disclosure is necessary to prevent personal harm or financial loss;
- We may also share your Personal Information with third parties to whom you have expressly agreed we can transfer your Personal Information.
- By using the Sites, you consent to the transfer of Personal Information information to the above parties.
EHS stores your Personal Information in the United States and does not transfer it to any other country, unless requested by you (for example, in the case of sending transcripts to a school in another country). If you are in the European Union, by interacting with EHS (via this website or any other means) you acknowledge that your Personal Information will be transferred to the United States.
By submitting your Personal Information to EHS, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your Personal Information is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy statement.
Voluntary Submission of Information
For applicants for admission and current students, the provision of your Personal Information is a statutory and/or contractual requirement, and/or a requirement necessary to enter into the contract with EHS. If you choose not to provide it, EHS will not be able to consider you as a prospective student, enter into a contract for enrollment, or provide services to you as a student.
For any other casual browsers, the provision of your Personal Information is purely voluntary. You may use the EHS website without disclosing Personal Information, and we will not obtain such information about you unless you choose to submit it to us. Submission of Personal Information through this Site authorizes use by EHS and our employees as disclosed in this Privacy Statement.
How Long We Retain Personal Information
We retain Personal Information only for a legitimate and lawful reason and only for so long as necessary or required by law. If you have any specific queries about our record retention periods, or wish to request that your Personal Information is considered for erasure, please contact the Director of Technology
If you are in the European Union, you may have rights in connection with your Personal Information under the GDPR to access and understand the Personal Information we hold about you, and in some cases to ask for it to be erased or amended or for us to stop processing it, but subject to certain exemptions and limitations.
As mentioned above, you always have the right to withdraw consent, where given, or otherwise object to receiving generic or fundraising communications. Please be aware however that the school may have another lawful reason to process the Personal Information in question even without your consent. That reason will usually have been asserted under this Privacy Notice, or may exist under some form of contract or agreement with the individual.
If you would like to access or amend your personal data, or would like it to be transferred to another person or organisation, or have some other objection to how your Personal Information is used, please make your request in writing to the Director of Technology
We will to respond to any such written requests as soon as is reasonably practicable and in any event within statutory time-limits, which is one month in the case of requests for access to information. We will be better able to respond quickly to smaller, targeted requests for information. If the request is manifestly excessive or similar to previous requests, we may ask you to reconsider or charge a proportionate fee, but only where the GDPR allows it.
You should be aware that certain information is exempt from the right of access. This may include information which identifies other individuals, or information which is subject to legal privilege.Change of details
We try to ensure that all personal data held in relation to an individual is as up to date and accurate as possible. Please notify email@example.com
of any significant changes to important information, such as contact details, held about you.
Our Site are not intended for use by children under the age of 13. In accordance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 ("COPPA"), we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 without the verifiable consent of a parent or guardian.
EHS has appropriate security measures in place designed to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the Personal Information we control.
The EHS website contains links to other independently run websites, such as Emma (https://myemma.com/
). While we obligate these vendors to maintain your Personal Information in the manner required by EHS, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website you visit before sharing Personal Information to ensure that you understand how your Personal Information may be used. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any Personal Information to these websites.
Do Not Track Beacons
We do not track visitors to our Site across third-party websites for the purpose of providing targeted advertising. Our Site does not currently respond to “do-not-track” signals from Internet browsers.
If you are located in the European Union and believe your Personal Information was unlawfully processed by EHS, you may lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority of your Member State.
Changes to our Privacy Statement
Any changes we may make to our Privacy Statement in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Changes to the Privacy Statement will be dated, and will be effective from the date specified forward.