Episcopal High School is currently accepting applications for both full- and part-time Security Officers. The successful candidate will provide support to the instructional process as well as to the students, faculty and families that live on campus with specific responsibilities for the security, safety and welfare of our students, faculty, staff, families and visitors while on campus grounds; monitor students, faculty/staff and visitors; communicate information in response to inquiries; patrol the campus to identify any safety or security issues (such as broken lights or trip/fall hazards, illegal entry, theft, fire or vandalism); enforce campus rules and regulations set forth by the Head of School and the administration.
The EHS Security Department is, 24/7/365 operation. Mandatory overtime on different shifts may be required throughout the year.
The School is seeking candidates for the following shifts:
• Saturday and Sunday
• 5:00 am – 1:00 pm
• 8 hours per day, 16 hours per week
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Proactively works with Directors, Administration, faculty and staff to continue to prioritize an understanding of safety and security policies and enforcement procedures to maintain a safe learning and living environment and the potential consequences of violation.
• In partnership with campus administration, serves as the initial first responder and campus security coordinator to provide necessary assistance during campus emergencies.
• Establishes a professional, courteous, friendly and positive relationship with students, faculty/staff and families.
• Needs to have strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively direct people in the event of an emergency; in addition to preparing Daily Activity Reports (DARs), Incident Reports and work-related emails.
• Monitors and participates in emergency procedure drills for the purpose complying with the Commonwealth of Virginia /Department of Education (DOE) guidelines.
• Staffs the Guardhouse with the purpose of assisting visitors and deliveries with directions as well as logging in after hour vehicles, provides a highly visible presence by greeting and interacting with all vehicles on campus, also monitors close circuit television (CCTV) equipment when necessary.
• Conducts routine patrols of the campus to include buildings, parking lots, homes for the purpose of providing visibility, physically checks and secure doors, rooms, windows and gates to ensure they are properly secured, and identify any potential safety hazards, operate equipment to include alarms and emergency alert systems.
• Provides traffic and parking control during school activities such as, sporting contests, cultural and special events. This may include erecting barricades and setting traffic cones.
• Directs all contractors to the Facilities Office for sign in.
• Coordinates with law enforcement agencies regarding incidents involving local criminal activity that may impact the safety and well-being of our students, faculty/staff, families and visitors.
• Reports issues of potential safety concerns (emergency lighting that needs fixing, broken door hardware, inoperable cameras, fire hazards, leaking water pipes, malfunctioning machinery and equipment) for the purpose of being entered in to SchoolDude for repair.
• Performs other related duties and assignments as required by campus designated officials.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• Must be at least 21 of age
• Must have a High School diploma or GED
• Perform essential job duties as listed below (KSAs)
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to obtain DCJS Security Officer Certification (SSO) within 60 days of hire
• Must possess effective communication skills with excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal skills
• At least one year of experience working and interacting with the public
• Possession of DCJS SSO Certification
• Previous School Security or Law Enforcement experience
• Active Shooter Training, CPR/AED certification
• Proficiency in technology including word processing, emails and other office equipment (fax, copier, scanners); experience in CCTV and door locking software.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Must be able to work flexible hours (evenings and/or midnights) and/or staggered shifts, as well as holidays, weekends and to work overtime including evenings, weekends and special events to provide maximum security coverage
• Must be able to work in inclement weather and able to walk, run, climb or sit for extended periods of time; needs to be physically fit to be able to handle critical situations. An example of minimal officer’s fitness level would be: the ability to complete a mile within 13 minutes, dragging 50 lbs. for 100 feet and able to walk up and down three flights of stairs and still be able to deploy the emergency alert system.
• Must be able to demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking skills; must be able to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with students, faculty/staff and internal/external stakeholders; will be responsible for managing behavior of victims, witnesses and others when handling or responding to incidents; requires use of sound judgment; ability to work with students and adults.
• Must be able to work with minimal or no supervision maintaining the trust of the EHS community.
• The ability to maintain confidentiality of any information learned by means of being an EHS Security Officer; and maintain as required by law or EHS’s policy, internal guidelines or by direction of higher authority.
• Keep current all required training and certifications as required by EHS security.Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement:
To protect the health and safety of our community as a 100% boarding school, and following the Food and Drug Administration’s full approval of a Covid- 19 vaccine, Episcopal implemented a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy. View Episcopal’s mandatory vaccination policy for its employees here
. Please also note that the job-related functions of this position and business necessity require the Covid-19 vaccination as a prerequisite for this.
Interested individuals who meet the requirements above should send a cover letter, resume and references via email to:
Director of Campus Safety and Security Episcopal High School firstname.lastname@example.org