From the first steps in Survey of Dance to the advanced choreography of a complete Dance Concert, students earn credit in either arts or athletics or simply enjoy themselves while participating in a diverse collection of dance opportunities.
Episcopal High School’s dance program prepares students for beginner to advanced level courses in dance technique through rigorous daily training in a variety of movement styles. Students will develop the foundational physical abilities required for studies in dance. Emphasis is on the development of muscular strength, aerobic conditioning, coordination, alignment, balance and familiarity with common dance vocabulary. Dance styles include but not limited to tap, jazz, ballet, modern, lyrical, hip hop and musical theatre. Also offering private lessons for specialized focus and continued study.
Students will have performance opportunities throughout the school year, including two dance concerts choreographed by faculty, guest artists and students. Classroom and afternoon dance options include opportunities for both beginner and advanced dance students.
The Episcopal dance program offers a well-rounded, professional and unique approach to dance training, giving each student a sense of self-esteem, body awareness and self-expression.
- Survey of Dance
- Afternoon dance option (Fall and Spring)
- Earning art or athletic credit
- Year-round dance offerings
- Guest artists who teach various dance styles
- Yoga offered on the weekends
- Attendance at professional performances by companies such as The Washington Ballet, Alvin Ailey, Kirov, CityDance, Jane Franklin Dance, and Dana Tai Soon Burgess & Company