1845-52: Edwin Augustus Dalrymple
"Education of the mind, however, and the formation of business habits, are by no means the sole or most important aim of the School. Whilst these receive constant and proper attention, it is at all times, borne in mind that the morals, the heart, the affections, and the manners of the students are not, by any means, to be neglected." - Edwin Dalrymple, 1849 Episcopal High School Catalogue
Episcopal High School emerged after being closed for the 1844-45 school year under the leadership of Edwin Augustus Dalrymple, a strict disciplinarian who held the students to exacting standards. Yet despite his stern measures, Old Dal, as he was nicknamed, earned extraordinary loyalty. During his tenure, Mr. Dalrymple grew the student body from nine to 85 students and made many repairs to the School’s buildings. “[He] put his whole strength into the business and got results,” recounted Arthur B. Kinsolving, Class of 1914.
Mr. Dalrymple’s specialty was Latin, and his instruction was inspired, focusing more on literature than syntax. “The Rector’s talks on the life of the ancients were full of inspiration; he made the classic ages live before his pupils and was a great interpreter of their philosophy and example,” wrote Kinsolving.
Under Mr. Dalrymple’s leadership as Principal, the School’s reputation thrived, and EHS was regularly visited by celebrities of the day. Edgar Allan Poe visited the School during its 1847 final exercises and, to the delight of all present, recited “The Raven” for the gathering. Having established a more secure financial footing for EHS, Mr. Dalrymple left for Baltimore in 1852, but his deep interest in the School continued for years to come.